16 October 2011

Fall Term Update - A

So school's almost a month through, and while I'm busier than I'd like to be, I'm not quite at the level of one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. I'm still trying to find the right balance for Racheal time, but there's been one small surprise in my semester so far. No, not that, the other thing.
...
...
I'm not sure how to break this to you. It's so unexpected!
...
Fine, I'll just come out and say it! Tax Law isn't so bad! In fact, compared to Admin, it's downright fun! It's well-presented, well-organized, and rather engaging and understandable on its own merits, and doubly so when compared to the boring, slow, tedious, and repetitive mess that is Admin. It's like comparing Criminal with Constitutional law - night and day for levels of fun vs pain. Now when I say tax law I don't mean gritty rules and details like you'd find in accounting -- law students are generally math-impaired (remember Family math?), but there's general principles and policies for us to learn, with simple equations our pudding-like brains can handle without melting completely. Add to it a prof who actually has a heart (ending class 30 minutes early because the room was too hot for our mutual attention spans and motivation) and I'm starting to think this may be enjoyable.

The other courses are living up to expectations for the most part. I'm also taking on some freelance research work in addition to all this reading because I really like getting paid and doing non-academic work. And not only does hockey season start soon, but it looks like floor hockey will be happening for me this term (instead of dodgeball) so I'll be able to safely and constructively vent my Admin frustrations outside the house.

Speaking of which, there's some latent irritation to be expressed. Please ignore any explosions, shouts, or sirens you may hear in oh, say, the next half hour? Some absent-minded professor thought it'd be fun to hide some required readings, and I need to try crawl inside his head and find where he might put them.

Grrrrrrr.

Happy thoughts. Hockey thoughts. Happy thoughts.
Cheers,
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment