30 June 2011

Working for the Queen, part 2 - A

So a few more weeks have gone by and I think it's safe to say I'm settling into the routine with the DOJ. Mainly I'm doing research and memos for different lawyers, on a variety of different topics. It's not as interesting as last year since I'm not in court all the time, but there's some things that are noteworthy in their own way.

I work in the Legal Services division of the DOJ (as opposed to Court Services, or Corrections), and Legal Services is divided into Litigation and Solicitor Services. Mainly I work with the solicitors - helping draft legislation, writing opinions on how to pick a fight with the federal government if they do something the province won't like, seeing what other provinces have done in certain areas to see if a new rule or process is worth implementing (like electronic traffic tickets), that sort of thing. I'm hoping to get to do more with the litigators soon - they're the ones representing the province in court, or in front of tribunals (like Residential or Labour Boards), and the like. They do things like child protection hearings, enforcing environmental law, collecting fines and taxes, enforcing fire and safety codes, and so on. I'm getting a good variety of work experience with more sure to come.

After two months I'm also getting to know the people better. Within Solicitor Services are various teams, with senior lawyers in Team Lead roles. Not only have I gotten some very favourable feedback on my work from some senior solicitors, but I've learned that some of the more intimidating lawyers are easier to work with and impress. Apparently it's also common for lawyers on our floor to be married to medical professionals - I don't know why but it's nice to fit in that way. My Team Lead is a nice guy who's very quiet and reserved, with a clear understanding of what his team is up to without micromanaging. He's also the drummer for the departmental rock band. Wait, what? A bunch of paper-shuffling, pasty stuffed shirts have a rock band? Apparently! I haven't heard them perform yet, but they get requests to play at Christmas parties and such. Other lawyers are into boats, kayaking, or photography - very normal people who despite appearances otherwise actually have lives outside the office and time for family. Also, despite getting animated over topics and issues that would have normal people looking for drying paint to watch instead, they have a keen awareness of where they and their work fit in with the province, and what the practical impact of their work has on taxpayers. I've been encouraged to keep watching the West Wing and Yes Minister, as there's more truth to those shows than one might expect, and they provide useful insights in dealing with the bureaucracy and politicians. Also, while there's far fewer riveting courtroom dramas to discuss outside the office, there's also much less...questionable or dark...humour involved, unlike say in the prosecutors' office. They may not be the most interesting bunch, but they're a lot less disturbing to be around sometimes.

Should criminal prosecution be as hard to get into as it's reported to be (which I'm trying to circumvent with experience, specialised courses, and contacts), DOJ is certainly a good place to work in the interim. It may not pay off the student loans as fast as some of the corporate opportunities my classmates are pursuing, but there's a definite emphasis on balanced living that seems to minimise burnout, and that's definitely something I can appreciate.

Maybe next time I'll have an exciting story to share (as in one that non law students would enjoy) but until then we'll see what sort of home-life events develop.

Happy Canada Day!
A.

No comments:

Post a Comment